29th November 2018

The lettings landscape is an ever changing picture and as a landlord you must keep up with these unless you use a lettings agent, who should be keeping up with these changes for you.

Foxwood Maclean have always insisted that all our staff have the relevant qualification in either Estate Agency or Residential Lettings and as part of that they all have to do continuous personal development. This involves keeping up with all the changes and adapting our procedures accordingly.

There will be a new template Section 21 form which will need to be used when giving notice on all tenancies which start on or after 1 October 2015 and which can be used to bring existing tenancies to an end after that date. Required information Landlords will not be able to serve a Section 21 Notice on tenancies that begin on or after 1st October 2015 unless they have provided tenants with the following information:
• A Gas Safety Certificate covering all fixed as well as portable gas appliances provided by the landlord for the tenants’ use.
• The property’s Energy Performance Certificates (EPC); except where a property is not required to have an EPC
• The Department for Communities and Local Government’s How to rent: This should be given at the start of a new tenancy.
• The Prescribed Information relating to the protection of a tenants’ deposit.

Notwithstanding certain simplifications made to the new section 21 notice procedure, the overall effect of the Deregulation Act 2015 is to impose additional hurdles for landlords seeking to serve valid section 21 notices. Landlords should take careful note of the new requirements in order to avoid delays in recovering possession of their property.

If you would like help with managing your property, call the team on 01233812606.